Thursday, August 02, 2007

shel silverstein

When you spit from the twenty-sixth floor
And if floats on the breeze to the ground
Does it fall upon hats
Or on white persian cats
Or on heads, with a pitty-pat sound?

Oh, I used to think life was a bore
But I don't feel that way any more
As count up the hits,
As I smile as I sit,
As I spit from the twenty-sixth floor.

~ Shel SilversteinWhere the Sidewalk Ends




i used to read Shel Silverstein to my kids... we all loved him. sort of a poetic Robert Munsch. had forgotten about him, till i came across him, with a lovely illustration, on French Toast Girl's blog. she posts her very lovley drawings and paintings. well worth dropping by.

3 Comments:

Blogger clairesgarden said...

charming poetry!

3:25 AM  
Blogger lindsaylobe said...

His poetry was of such a distinct uncomplicated style to generate appeal to children and to foster their future interest. A passion still easily rekindled to day I would adjudge by virtue of your posting. Those drawings are delighful over at French Toast girls blog.

Poet’s spirit now guided by stars
As verses recited by bloggers afar
Painted on canvas now in cyberspace
Imagination our world his words our place


Best wishes

7:18 AM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

Claire - Isn't Shel Silverstein fun!? I stopped by your garden earlier this a.m. ...i've never seen red lobelia before... it's one of my very favorite flowers, in the dark blue strains, as i'm a bit nutty about cobalt blue. the 'old' house is now listed for sale, and i'm eagerly anticipating having money for a digital camera and a kayak some time soon... and, of course, a harp of my own.

Lindsaylobe - i never get tired of him. French toast girl is a professional illustrator... something i've dreamed of being one day... on my list of things to achieve. ...and more word filigree - thanks ever so... i'll be smiling all day.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home