Friday, March 09, 2007

SNOWBALLS!!!

I'm so very glad it's Friday!!!

And what a beautiful day! Glorious sunshine, mild temperatures, and the promise of spring! And a whole weekend ahead of me!

It was perfect snowball weather yesterday. I threw snowballs at the foremen who were leaving work the same time as me last night after work, and at the kids as they left the writing class I taught last night. One of the mums got quite cross at the kids for throwing snowballs back at me, then went all weird when she learned that I'd started it. You can't get all grumpy and blame the TEACHER, right? It's such fun being a childish adult. Messes with the heads of those who take themselves far too seriously.

And these kids are brilliant. It's a thrill to see their faces light up as they discover their own ability to craft words. I kept thinking of my own kids, now grown, and all the books we've read together, and how articulate they are, each in his or her own way. Language is a powerful tool.

On a day like this, I can smell spring coming. After a week or so of mild days like this, the rushing sap in the willows will cause the buds to begin to swell, and the lids will pop off the irrepressably boisterous pussy willows. Then there will be no containing spring. She'll burst out in a riot of chirping birds and popping buds and burbling streams and murmering breezes.

Yes, folks! even here in the frozen north, winter's grip is weakening.

4 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Our spring has almost sprung. Flowering trees everywhere I look and daffodils in bloom.

Our afternoons are hitting the 70's.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi,

Down the road from me are almond tree full of blooms and buzzing bees--yeah spring!

Janice~

10:21 PM  
Blogger lindsaylobe said...

Spring not long for you to wait
Mums will fail to dissipate
Sun beams soon on window sill
Springtime may a heart fulfil

Words of winter, words dispel
Words of spring’s sweet jezebel
Awaken to life’s springtime beat
Snow so soft beneath your feet

4:46 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

I'm glad your melting is beginning.
bah humbug to those mothers, they should try joining in!!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home