Thursday, March 09, 2006

grannyfiddler

status
i was in the nearby city, picking up some second-hand furniture the other day. my daughter is 'moving up' and selling her old stuff. her old stuff is better than most everything i've ever owned, and the price was right, so i bought some of it. in order to transport the goods, i'd borrowed a friend's 3/4 ton farm truck, and enlisted the services of another friend. we were both appropriately attired in old jeans and jackets. i managed to put the finger tips out of a couple of the digits in my knitted gloves in the process, and it was windy, so i had very bad hair. we weren't garnering any glances of admiration, to say the least.

in fact, shortly after we pulled up in the afore-mentioned chariot, which was bumble-bee yellow wherever there was paint remaining, with a mismatched hood, and a muffler that was determined to be heard ANYWHERE, it became abundantly clear that daughter and her fellow were most anxious to be somewhere else, so they drove off in their baby Hummer - i think they call it an H3 - hopefully before anyone noticed them talking to us. so much for any hope of help loading the stuff. perhaps they had to be at the gym - they're both very into fitness.

so, my very helpful friend and neighbor (did i mention that he is on disability, and suffers from fibromyalgia?) and i loaded the stuff up and tied it down and tarped it up for the 2 hour drive home. it's not usually 2 hours - more like 1 1/2, but, as i said, the wind was howling, so we took it slowly.

so, as I drove through the city in this humble, but very reliable and hard working mode of transport, made available by the good hearts of thoughtful friends, i couldn't help but notice the many gleaming new SUV's and their ilk, as they pulled up alongside me as i drove along, and pulled up at stop lights. perhaps i'm a bit over-sensitive but, i'm sure we were on the receiving end of more than one 'look', and definitely one curled lip, from perfectly coiffed and manicured, impeccably dressed, and rather haughty occupants of nearby vehicles.

i said to my friend, "i think you should drive, and i'll sit on one of the chairs in the back with a shotgun across my lap" . i felt like Granny Clampet.

and i wondered, as i left that all behind me, about the lifestyle i'd left behind as well. and i wondered about my daughter, who's a lovely young woman, and much smarter than me, in many ways, but has no social or environmental conscience at all.

i wondered if she had any inkling that her way of doing things may embarass me as much as my way of doing things embarasses her.

4 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

Great story and descriptions of the surrounding and passing folks on your trek. Hopefully you got the furniture home without incident. Did enjoy the thought about granny and the shotgun. :)

I too have wondered much about the consciences of many of the young ones around me. But I have also seen young ones that are living right and seeking God's right path, that part is encouraging. ec

7:29 AM  
Blogger clairesgarden said...

I'd have smiled and waved at you in your truck ,I have driven a variety of vehicles in my life, and I preferd the horse and cart!!

10:56 AM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

mr e - yes, the furniture is safely beautifying my comfy little cottage, and i'm enjoying it thoroughly. And i haven't given up on the girl; she's already light years ahead of where i was at her age, in many ways.

claire - i'd have smiled and waved back! especially if you were driving a horse and cart!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I can almost picture you on the back of that truck.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home