Wednesday, January 11, 2006

still in limbo

i'm still without a computer at home, so can only peek a bit at work during lunch, etc. and my blog visits are few these days.

it's deep winter here in waynorth, but she's been uncharacteristically gentle so far this year. the long range predictions are that she'll continue to be. though i lived in the Yukon for 6 years, and thoroughly enjoyed the winters there, i've come to hate the intense cold so common in the north. this winter has been like something out of a wonderful dream. there's an outdoor skating rink just down the street from my house. i'm working up the nerve to dig up a pair of skates and try it out. i loved skating as a child. one of my former violin students is now studying architecture in Ottowa. i have this idea i have to make a winter visit to her before she finishes, and skate on the Rideau Canal.

i told a neighbor about my dream of skating the Rideau. he proceeded to tell me a lovely story about his grandparents' courtship. he was a violinist, living in Ottowa - she a nun there, who played piano. they began as soloist and accompanist. he used to skate along the canal, carrying his violin, to go rehearse with her. all very romantic. of course, my neighbor wouldn't be here to tell the story if they hadn't fallen very much in love, married and had children. now i really have to skate on that canal.

1 Comments:

Blogger Madcap said...

Yes, I can sympathise. A skating violinist might challenge my vocation too. ;-). (Couldn't trump a penny-whistling carpenter, though!)

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home